Accredited Guide Services and Training Centers
CGI’s accreditation program has been developed for guiding programs, schools and services that offer canyoneering instruction and/or guided canyoneering. Accreditation provides a consistent standard for judging the reliability and professionalism of a canyoneering service by ensuring it conforms to industry standards, conducts ongoing guide training and promotes ethical business practices.
CGI offers a comprehensive certification program for canyon guides that follows an international standard. While certification applies to individuals and accreditation applies to companies and organizations, an important goal of CGI accreditation is to tie CGI certification of individual guides to accreditation. The accreditation program promotes certification within accredited programs through mentoring, training, supervision, and financial support for the individual guide seeking certification.
The accreditation program is a voluntary means of quality assurance and peer evaluation focusing on international standards for guided canyoneering.
Accreditation examines such things as operating guidelines, access, permits, insurance, employment and business practices, and guide training. CGI accreditation is not an in-depth evaluation of a company’s guides or their individual skills. It constitutes a general business review.
Accreditation provides a consistent and meaningful standard by which to judge the reliability and professionalism of a canyoneering program. It informs the general public and land managers that a program utilizes guides who are certified and that all guides in the program have received formal training appropriate to the terrain they guide.
Benefits for your accredited program include:
- Demonstrating to the general public and land management agencies that your program meets or exceeds industry standards; a substantial advantage when attracting clients and students.
- Demonstrating your commitment to protecting and preserving canyon environments.
- Support for the professional development of your guide and instructor staff through participation in free clinics and canyon guide rendezvous.
- Gives your program greater exposure via the CGI website and our social media.
- Allows use of the CGI logo in your marketing materials.
- Provides a thorough and valuable review of your field and business practices.
- Accredited programs are committed to high technical standards and quality staff of engaged and engaging instructors and guides.
- Accredited programs have CGI certified guides and instructors on staff.
- Accredited programs encourage their staff to pursue CGI certification and provide mentoring to others.
- Accredited programs conduct annual terrain-specific training utilizing in-house staff who are certified by CGI.
- Programs must have been in continuous operation for one full year prior to application for accreditation.
- Programs must employ at least one CGI certified Pro Canyon Guide or Master Canyon Guide who is responsible for staff training, supervision and mentoring.
- At least one third of the program’s guiding/instructor staff must be CGI certified Level 1 or higher.
How to apply ...
- Contact CGI to request an Accreditation Application and Self-Assessment Questionnaire.
- Review the Application and Questionnaire to determine your eligibility for accreditation.
- Submit the Application, Questionnaire, and supporting documents by email to CGI for review.
- Once your application has been reviewed and approved someone will contact you to schedule an on-site Accreditation Review.
Custom Guide Assessments and Accreditation Reviews
Custom guide assessments are available worldwide for companies and organizations who are interested in pursuing certification for their staff. Assessments can be tailored to your specific needs and conducted at your location. It may be possible to schedule guide assessments, as well as an accreditation review during the same visit.